Friday, September 19, 2014

T.T. 64. Did God really create the earth in six days>

T.T. 64. Did God really create the earth in six days?

 

When I first read in the Bible that God created the earth in six days and then rested on the seventh, I was shocked. I thought “Why did He take so long, and why did He then take a rest for a day?

 

For most of my life I was an atheist, but once I started believing in God then, by definition, I understood that He was all powerful and could do absolutely anything instantly, and would never need to rest.

 

Why then did God take six days to create the earth, rather than doing it in a split second? I believe that it was to set us an example of how we should organise our lives. He has designed us in such a way that we can work (or study) for six days without any harm coming to our bodies or minds – provided we make it a habit to take a rest, or break, from our normal activities one day in every seven. That is the reason we have a seven day week.

 

In the past some countries, such as France and Russia, have tried to abolish the seven day week in favour of a shorter or longer week. But they have all had to revert back to the seven day week. Any other system just does not work.